According to the Energy Department, a typical family will use over $1,400 per year on utilities. It is no wonder the average American is trying everything they can do to reduce the amount of electricity they are using every month. Toss high electric bills in the garbage with these tricks to increase your home’s energy efficiency.
Utilities that Consume Energy and How to Reduce the Amount
- Washing Clothes on Cold or Warm- Did you know that washing your clothes in hot water can greatly increase the amount of electricity that you use? Using cold or warm water can help you save by reducing the need for the hot water heater to work as hard.
- Fix Leaking Toilets, Showers, and Faucets- Did you know that you will waste gallons of water on one leaky faucet a month? Fixing leaks can save you hundreds of dollars in unnecessary water consumption per year!
- Purchase Energy-Efficient Appliances- Newer appliances are built to use less water and energy than previous models. There are new dishwashers that can use less than 3.5 gallons of water per cycle than older models!
Lights and Power
- Lightbulbs- Did you know that you can save almost $75 per year by simply replacing your bulbs with LED or Compact Fluorescent bulbs that have the Energy Star Label?
- Dimmer Switches- In conjunction with an Energy Star Lightbulb, a dimmer switch can save you money by using less energy while keeping your rooms only as bright as you need them!
- Install Solar Panels- While the upfront costs of solar panels can be quite high, your year-over-year savings will make the investment worth it.
- Energy Audit- If you have concerns with your energy consumption, many utility companies will offer home energy audits to show you areas where you could save.
Heating and Cooling
- Seals on Windows and Doors – You do not want to spend more on your electricity bill from something as simple as leaking air from windows. A Palm Springs Home Inspection will check on your windows and doors to be sure the seals are in good condition.
- Smart Thermostat- A smart thermostat is a great way to easily save money on your monthly electric bill. Newer models even give suggestions on schedules for energy savings while making sure you and your family stay comfortable during the hot and cold months.
- Fixing Leaks in Your Ductwork- You may be losing valuable energy with small leaks in your heating and cooling systems. A quick check and repair could save you hundreds!
Take a hold of your energy consumption and start using some of our tricks today!